[PlanetCCRMA] I've really mucked up my jack installation

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Thu Jan 27 08:55:02 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:53:57 -0500, Joe Hartley <jh@brainiac.com> wrote:
> Redhat 9 Planet CCRMA install, using 2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma kernel.
>
> I was having a very strange issue with ardour, thought it might be an
> underlying jack issue, and decided to fetch the CVS version of jack and
> install it.  Configure to use --prefix=/usr to overwrite the Planet CCRMA
> rpm files, built, installed, had jackstart issues, built and installed
> jackstart, still permission issues starting.  Ick.
>
> No problem, I decide to punt and go back to the Planet's version.
>
> # rpm --erase --nodeps jack-audio-connection-kit-0.99.0-2.rh90.ccrma \
>      jack-audio-connection-kit-example-clients-0.99.0-2.rh90.ccrma \
>      jack-audio-connection-kit-devel-0.99.0-2.rh90.ccrma
> Deleting jack tmpfs fstab entry...
>
> # apt-get install jack-audio-connection-kit \
>    jack-audio-connection-kit-example-clients jack-audio-connection-kit-devel
>
> # exit
> % jackstart -R -p512 -dalsa -dice1712 -r44100 -p256 -n2 -zs -H -M
> back from read, ret = 1 errno == Success
> jackd 0.99.0
> Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> Segmentation fault
>
> Damn, I've really hosed myself here.  Does anyone know off the top of
> their head how I can fix this, short of taking this opportunity to move
> to FC1?
>
> (Or, conversely, how can install jack from CVS with a working jackstart?)
>
> Thanks!

Joe,
   Just last night I started seeing strange issues with Jack. On this
machine I've never used anything but the Planet to install Jack. (As
far as I remember...) Look at this:

[mark@Godzilla mark]$ jackd -d alsa -r 44100 -p 512 -n 2
jackd 0.99.36
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|512|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 512 frames, buffer = 2 periods
nperiods = 2 for capture
nperiods = 2 for playback

Jack is running and I can run Jack apps.

Now, I insert the -v entry into the same command:

[mark@Godzilla mark]$ jackd -v -d alsa -r 44100 -p 512 -n 2
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_dummy.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_oss.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_alsa.so
jackd 0.99.36
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

server `default' registered
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|512|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 512 frames, buffer = 2 periods
nperiods = 2 for capture
nperiods = 2 for playback
registered builtin port type 32 bit float mono audio
required capabilities not available
capabilities: = cap_ipc_lock,cap_sys_nice,cap_sys_resource+e
new client: alsa_pcm, id = 1 type 1 @ 0x8059a50 fd = -1
new buffer size 512
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_1, offset = 2048
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_2, offset = 4096

<SNIP>

registered port alsa_pcm:capture_23, offset = 47104
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_24, offset = 49152
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_25, offset = 51200
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_26, offset = 53248
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_1, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_2, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_3, offset = 0

<SNIP>

registered port alsa_pcm:playback_25, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_26, offset = 0
++ jack_rechain_graph():
client alsa_pcm: internal client, execution_order=0.
-- jack_rechain_graph()
4148 waiting for signals
Floating point exception
[mark@Godzilla mark]$

and at this point Jack is dead.

I do not recall the offset numbers ever looking quite like this before.

Anyway, Jack runs, but not with the -v option. I'm not subscribed to
jack-devel so if anyone here is and want's to verify and then report
this I would be appreciative.

Thanks,
Mark