[PlanetCCRMA] I've really mucked up my jack installation

Thu Jan 27 08:41:01 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 07:53, Joe Hartley wrote:
> Redhat 9 Planet CCRMA install, using 2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma kernel.
>
> I was having a very strange issue with ardour, thought it might be an
> underlying jack issue, and decided to fetch the CVS version of jack and
> install it.  Configure to use --prefix=/usr to overwrite the Planet CCRMA
> rpm files, built, installed, had jackstart issues, built and installed
> jackstart, still permission issues starting.  Ick.
>
> No problem, I decide to punt and go back to the Planet's version.
>
> # rpm --erase --nodeps jack-audio-connection-kit-0.99.0-2.rh90.ccrma \
>      jack-audio-connection-kit-example-clients-0.99.0-2.rh90.ccrma \
>      jack-audio-connection-kit-devel-0.99.0-2.rh90.ccrma
> Deleting jack tmpfs fstab entry...
>
> # apt-get install jack-audio-connection-kit \
>    jack-audio-connection-kit-example-clients jack-audio-connection-kit-devel
>
> # exit
> % jackstart -R -p512 -dalsa -dice1712 -r44100 -p256 -n2 -zs -H -M
> back from read, ret = 1 errno == Success
> jackd 0.99.0
> Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> Segmentation fault

There must be something left of your previous install. Although you did
the right thing, I think.

> Damn, I've really hosed myself here.  Does anyone know off the top of
> their head how I can fix this, short of taking this opportunity to move
> to FC1?

(re: fc1, I'd wait a bit and move to fc2/3)
Check that jackd is linking to the right libraries:
  ldd /usr/bin/jackd
(ie: that the libraries are in the /usr hierarchy, that should not be
the problem in this case).

Another way would be to see what does the "make install" target of jack
cvs installs and where. In the past I haven't used more than the brute
force approach of installing and then running a find in / looking for
the right date, something like:
- check the date of jackd
# ls -l /usr/bin/jackd
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        61740 Sep 24 10:43 /usr/bin/jackd
- find anything that has a date close to what was listed (will take a
while)
find / -ls | grep "Sep 24 10:"
  - once you have the list erase the relevant stuff only :-)...

> (Or, conversely, how can install jack from CVS with a working jackstart?)

In my spec file I'm using something like:

configure --prefix=/usr ...then some more automatically set stuff for
directories... --enable-static --enable-stripped-jackd
--with-default-tmpdir=/var/lib/jack/tmp --enable-capabilities

Probably the last two are the important ones for -R.
Let me know if current jack cvs solves your problems...
-- Fernando