[PlanetCCRMA] radeon 9700 fc3

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 25 00:46:01 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 03:47:13 -0800, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 15:35, jd002c5250@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> > I found the depmod file.
> >
> > All I could find on the ati card was:
> >
> > fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies,
> > Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
> > fglrx: Unknown symbol pci_find_class
>
> I guess you have to try with a different kernel or see if ATI has a
> newer version of the driver.

You need to apply a patch to the ATI source to get it to build - its quite
hard to do and I gave up, which is why I'm currently not using a Planet
kernel - livna.org provides binary RPMs against the FC2 (and 3 I guess)
kernels.

You could get the source RPM from livna and rebuild it against the Planet
kernel, but I dont know how to do that offhand. If you do manage it, I'd
be very happy to recieve a RPM built agasint the Planet kernel :)

> > I have to say I laughed at the tainted bit.
>
> Yeah, that's so that real kernel gurus know when there is a binary
> module loaded. They are not going to bother with a bug report that
> includes one of them. There is no source so there's nothing they could
> do.

Yes. This has been less of an issue with NVidia cards in my experience, as
a fair bit of the source is available, and I was able to fix (minor
suspend related) problems myself, and send patches, however the ATI driver
is much lower quality code, or at least packaging, and less of the
important parts are available in source form.

Serves me right for listening to slashdot weinies who said ATI had better
support than NVidia.

- Steve