[PlanetCCRMA] updated: apt for fc3

Mon Jan 24 17:26:02 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 17:12, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 24 Jan 2005 13:49:37 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
> <nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> > Hi all, I just released new apt packages for Fedora Core 3. It turns out
> > that the per-repository configuration files (in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/)
> > are apparently not overriding the main configuration file, and it took
> > me _this_ long to find out :-(
> >
> > So I rereleased apt with a fixed main configuration file
> > (/etc/apt/apt.conf), and a couple other fixes (cosmetic).
> >
> > See the online ChangeLog for full details on what you need to do to get
> > things back to normal (an upgrade is not enough as the configuration are
> > flagged in the package to not be updated automatically). If you don't do
> > this some packages that should not be duplicated will be, with potential
> > problems later. The changelog has instructions on how to get your system
> > back into a normal state... Sorry for the trouble.
>
>    Hi. I'm getting started in upgrading my wife's new FC3 machine to
> try this out. We've had trouble with some simple audio applications on
> the machine so I'm hoping your Planet release might work better, once
> I get it set up and going.
>
>    Early results:
>
> 1) Configuration - I hope I'm dong this right as it is a bit different
> than previous revisions. First, I have a newer (I think) version of
> apt on this system:
>
> apt-0.5.15cnc6-4.1.fc3.rf
>
> I've modified /etc/apt/apt.conf like this:
>
> [root@dragonfly ~]# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
> APT {
>         Clean-Installed "false";
>         Get {
>                 Assume-Yes "false";
>                 Download-Only "false";
>                 Show-Upgraded "true";
>                 Fix-Broken "false";
>                 Ignore-Missing "false";
>                 Compile "false";
>         };
> };
>
> Acquire {
>         Retries "0";
>         HTTP {
>                 Proxy ""; // http://user:pass@host:port/
>         };
> };
>
> RPM {
>         Ignore { };
>         Hold { };
>         Options { };
>         Install-Options "--oldpackage";

Probably won't work, see the missing braces:

	Install-Options { "--oldpackage" };

>         Erase-Options "";
> //      Pre-Install-Pkgs { "/usr/bin/apt-sigchecker"; };
>         Source {
>                 Build-Command "rpmbuild --rebuild";
>         };
>         Allow-Duplicated {
>                 "^kernel(-(BOOT|smp|bigmem|debug|doc|source.*)|)$";
>                 "^gpg-pubkey$";
>         };
> };
> [root@dragonfly ~]#
>
> There were two other options under the Allow-Duplicated that I removed.

Looks good to me.

> 2) For sources.list.d I really think I want (for now) only what the
> Planet provides so I moved all other files in that directory and
> created a planetccrma.list file with your entries. When I do apt-get
> update I do seem to get only stuff from the Planet so I hope this is
> working correctly, or at least good enough to proceed. (I think it is.
> Correct me if you don't agree.)
>
> 3) apt-get update followed by apt-get dist-upgrade results in no new
> packages being downloaded. While not a problem it is a surprise,
> although I did do upgrades through up2date earlier so it's not
> impossible.

Then you are probably up to date.

> 4) At this point I updated for both of the Planet kernels:
>
> apt-get install planetccrma-core
> apt-get install planetccrma-core-smp
>
> and everything went fine. However when I reboot only the non-SMP
> kernel works. When I try to boot the SMP kernel I get a message:
>
> 8042.c - Unable to initialize controller.  (I think)

I think that is the keyboard controller, which would explain the missing
keyboard... Could you try using the "noacpi" boot option? It may be an
irq problem.

You could also try the planetccrma-core-edge kernels. Who knows, they
may work better (or worse :-)

> After that kudzu takes over but neither the keyboard or the mouse
> work. The machine boots and I still have no mouse or keyboard. I have
> to do a power switch.
>
> The machine is a 3GH P4-HT machine using an Intel chipset:
>
> [root@dragonfly ~]# lspci
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub
> Interface (rev 02)
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82865G Integrated
> Graphics Device (rev 02)
>

> This does not happen with the UMP kernel. This machine runs the
> standard FC3 SMP kernel fine:
> [root@dragonfly ~]# uname -r
> 2.6.10-1.737_FC3smp
> [root@dragonfly ~]#
>
> 5) As a note this machine only has wireless, and wireless ndiswrapper
> machines require a recompile of ndiswrapper against the kernel source
> code before it can start networking. What's the proper command for
> getting the source code for your UMP kernel? Then I can try out
> wireless and make sure the solution works OK for her.

Well, I don't know much about the ndiswrapper thing or other binary only
modules. The "source" for the kernel is supposedly no longer necessary,
the kernel headers external modules should need are (in 2.6.x builds)
located in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build. Whatever you use to build the
wrapper needs that if it does not find it by itself.

-- Fernando