[PlanetCCRMA] updated: apt for fc3

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Mon Jan 24 17:13:02 2005

On 24 Jan 2005 13:49:37 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
<nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Hi all, I just released new apt packages for Fedora Core 3. It turns out
> that the per-repository configuration files (in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/)
> are apparently not overriding the main configuration file, and it took
> me _this_ long to find out :-(
>
> So I rereleased apt with a fixed main configuration file
> (/etc/apt/apt.conf), and a couple other fixes (cosmetic).
>
> See the online ChangeLog for full details on what you need to do to get
> things back to normal (an upgrade is not enough as the configuration are
> flagged in the package to not be updated automatically). If you don't do
> this some packages that should not be duplicated will be, with potential
> problems later. The changelog has instructions on how to get your system
> back into a normal state... Sorry for the trouble.
>
> -- Fernando

Fernando,
   Hi. I'm getting started in upgrading my wife's new FC3 machine to
try this out. We've had trouble with some simple audio applications on
the machine so I'm hoping your Planet release might work better, once
I get it set up and going.

   Early results:

1) Configuration - I hope I'm dong this right as it is a bit different
than previous revisions. First, I have a newer (I think) version of
apt on this system:

apt-0.5.15cnc6-4.1.fc3.rf

I've modified /etc/apt/apt.conf like this:

[root@dragonfly ~]# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
APT {
        Clean-Installed "false";
        Get {
                Assume-Yes "false";
                Download-Only "false";
                Show-Upgraded "true";
                Fix-Broken "false";
                Ignore-Missing "false";
                Compile "false";
        };
};

Acquire {
        Retries "0";
        HTTP {
                Proxy ""; // http://user:pass@host:port/
        };
};

RPM {
        Ignore { };
        Hold { };
        Options { };
        Install-Options "--oldpackage";
        Erase-Options "";
//      Pre-Install-Pkgs { "/usr/bin/apt-sigchecker"; };
        Source {
                Build-Command "rpmbuild --rebuild";
        };
        Allow-Duplicated {
                "^kernel(-(BOOT|smp|bigmem|debug|doc|source.*)|)$";
                "^gpg-pubkey$";
        };
};
[root@dragonfly ~]#

There were two other options under the Allow-Duplicated that I removed.

2) For sources.list.d I really think I want (for now) only what the
Planet provides so I moved all other files in that directory and
created a planetccrma.list file with your entries. When I do apt-get
update I do seem to get only stuff from the Planet so I hope this is
working correctly, or at least good enough to proceed. (I think it is.
Correct me if you don't agree.)

3) apt-get update followed by apt-get dist-upgrade results in no new
packages being downloaded. While not a problem it is a surprise,
although I did do upgrades through up2date earlier so it's not
impossible.

4) At this point I updated for both of the Planet kernels:

apt-get install planetccrma-core
apt-get install planetccrma-core-smp

and everything went fine. However when I reboot only the non-SMP
kernel works. When I try to boot the SMP kernel I get a message:

8042.c - Unable to initialize controller.  (I think)

After that kudzu takes over but neither the keyboard or the mouse
work. The machine boots and I still have no mouse or keyboard. I have
to do a power switch.

The machine is a 3GH P4-HT machine using an Intel chipset:

[root@dragonfly ~]# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub
Interface (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82865G Integrated
Graphics Device (rev 02)

This does not happen with the UMP kernel. This machine runs the
standard FC3 SMP kernel fine:
[root@dragonfly ~]# uname -r
2.6.10-1.737_FC3smp
[root@dragonfly ~]#

5) As a note this machine only has wireless, and wireless ndiswrapper
machines require a recompile of ndiswrapper against the kernel source
code before it can start networking. What's the proper command for
getting the source code for your UMP kernel? Then I can try out
wireless and make sure the solution works OK for her.

Thanks much. So far not bad although I wonder why this SMP kernel
doesn't work better...

Cheers,
Mark