[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Ardour not fast enough?

Timo Sivula timo.sivula@luukku.com
Fri Jan 21 16:31:02 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 00:09, Mark Knecht wrote:
>    I guess one obvious question would be how fast is the machine, but
> I doubt that this is caused by a slow machine really.

I am running a P4 Celeron of 2 GHz. I think it should be sufficiently fast?

>    I had some problems sort of like this quite awhile back. In my case
> they were, we thought, caused by one or more of the following:
>
> 1) The APCI system
> 2) CPU clock frequency scaling
> 3) Interrupt service latencies (not IRP priority)

I have turned off ACPI. CPU clock frequency scaling I do not use. The
interrupt latencies could be an interesting area to explore, but I do
not think it is possible in FC1?

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 02:27, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > I have the same problem with ardour-0.9beta19, 22 and 23. The only
> > effect I have in use is a master reverb with Freeverb.
>
> Freeverb has known problems with denormals. Are you running on a Pentium
> 4 machine? If so that could be the problem. When you stop feeding
> signals to freeverb and the reverb decays to almost zero the cpu load
> will go up substantially.

Indeed! I replaced Freeverb with the TAP reverbator in the master reverb
strip and behold: the error is gone!

Very sad, Freeverb is such a good reverb.

Timo