[PlanetCCRMA] FATAL: Error running install command for sound_slot_1

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Mon Jan 17 12:47:01 2005

On 17 Jan 2005 11:50:56 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
<nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 10:56, Mark Knecht wrote:
<SNIP>
> > # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
> > # --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.5 ---
> > alias sound-slot-0 snd-hdsp
>
> The previous line (and the alsaconf generated stuff) is not really
> needed. That's part of the distributed global modprobe.conf.
>
> > # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
> > alias scsi_hostadapter sbp2
> > [root@Godzilla log]#
>
> You can safely ignore the sound_slot_1 thing, I think. There is a way to
> tell alsa that a slot is not occupied at all, maybe it was:
>
> alias snd-slot-1 off
>
> But I may be wrong.
> -- Fernando

Hi Fernando,
   Thanks for responding. So I attempted reorganizing the file for a
little bit better readability and then did what I think you were
suggesting and commented out the alsa sound-slot-0 snd-hdsp line. Now
it looks like this:

(I will delete the #Sound comments later after I make sure I did what
you were suggesting.)

#Networking
alias eth0 e100

#Sound
alias snd-card-0 snd-hdsp
#options snd-hdsp index=0
install snd-hdsp /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-hdsp &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-hdsp { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hdsp
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.5 ---
#alias sound-slot-0 snd-hdsp
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

#USB
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd
alias usb-controller2 uhci-hcd

#install sbp2 /sbin/modprobe ohci1394 && /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install sbp2
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias scsi_hostadapter sbp2

I then did a restart of Alsa with no audio apps running and got many
more messages than I remember getting in the past. Is the remove
snd-hdsp line well tested?

[root@Godzilla log]# /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
Shutting down sound driverERROR: Module snd_mixer_oss is in use
ERROR: Module snd_hdsp is in use
ERROR: Module snd_rawmidi is in use by snd_hdsp
ERROR: Module snd_seq_device is in use by snd_rawmidi
ERROR: Module snd_pcm is in use by snd_hdsp
ERROR: Module snd_timer is in use by snd_pcm
ERROR: Module snd_hwdep is in use by snd_hdsp
ERROR: Module snd is in use by
snd_mixer_oss,snd_hdsp,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep
                                                           [  OK  ]
ALSA driver already running
Starting sound driver snd-hdsp                             [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer                                         [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer driver snd-seq-midi                     [  OK  ]
Restoring sound driver settings                            [  OK  ]
[root@Godzilla log]#

So far no more messages in /var/log/messages, but I Want to reboot and
see if this is a boot time problem or not.

Jan 17 12:08:15 Godzilla last message repeated 2 times
Jan 17 12:34:37 Godzilla modprobe: FATAL: Error running install
command for sound_slot_1
Jan 17 12:40:50 Godzilla last message repeated 2 times
Jan 17 12:40:51 Godzilla alsasound: sound driver stop succeeded
Jan 17 12:40:51 Godzilla alsasound: Starting sound driver snd-hdsp succeeded
Jan 17 12:40:51 Godzilla alsasound: Starting sequencer succeeded
Jan 17 12:40:51 Godzilla alsasound: Starting sequencer driver
snd-seq-midi succeeded
Jan 17 12:40:51 Godzilla alsasound: Restoring sound driver settings succeeded

Thanks!

- Mark