[PlanetCCRMA] Recommendations for Athlon Board for CCRMA (ARRGH!!!! #@$#$&^%# BioStar Board)

Rick B zajelo3@cfl.rr.com
Fri Jan 14 18:57:01 2005

mjnoble wrote:

> Matt Barber wrote:
>
>> Whatever you do, stay away from nforce.  Those things'll make you cry,
>> man.
>>
>> Matt
>>

> hmm, just curious, but would you care to elaborate?  I know RME were
> recommending nforce boards for athlon based DAWs for some time, but
> that's because they were a lot more reliable under windows.  I can vouch
> for that, having had nothing but bad experiences with VIA based boards
> all the way up to kt400 chipsets (including a few widely reported bugs
> in the earlier days) and nothing but solid machines running on nforce
> chipsets.  nonetheless, that's windows, and linux is a whole 'nother
> world, for sure.  I haven't kept up with the move to 64bit architecture
> either so things may have changed in that regard.  Are there specific
> issues with regard linux and nforce that you can point me to?  I'm
> running an nforce2 board and it seems to be ok so far.  (I'm fairly sure
> my FC1 issues were dodgy hard disc related...)
>
> -michael

    The Nforce2 had some Linux problems when they first came out, but
all the problems seem to have been resolved. I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe
mobo with an Athlon 2500 overclocked to 3200 speeds (2204 Mhz) and
Samsung PC2700 ram overclocked to PC3200 (at 3-3-3-8 latencies). I use
the Planetedge 2.6.8.1-1.520.1vR9.ll.rhfc2.ccrma kernel on FC2. My main
use for my box is gaming, which is probably the most brutal thing you
can do to a machine, and it runs rock solid. I don't do any audio work
on it though, so I can't comment on the low latency characteristics of
the Nforce2 chipset, but I notice much smoother gameplay using Fernandos
kernels than I do the CK kernels, which I believe can be attributed to
the low latency characteristics of the CCRMA kernels. One thing you need
to watch out for though is low quality power supplies, as they will kill
stability in a heartbeat.

                   Rick B