[PlanetCCRMA] what's the best distro - RH9, FCn?

Fri Jan 14 10:25:02 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 07:24, Crispin wrote:
> > as far as nvidia drivers go (video card, i assume), using a
> > fedora core
> > 2 installation will allow you to go to kernel 2.6.8 - anything above
> > that breaks all of the nvidia card drivers (as far as i can make out).
>
> Is it possible to use 2.4 kernels with FC2?  I've tried 2.6 (I forget which)
> on my RH9 installation and it constantly had problems, 2.4 on the other hand
> is stable.

I tried a couple of times but there were several small issues with kudzu
redetecting devices when rebooting into the 2.4.x kernels (and back into
2.6). I don't really remember all the details (this was a while ago),
but there were enough little problems that I did not consider that an
option for running Planet CCRMA on top of FC2. It may work for
individuals willing to deal with the stuff, but not for releasing an
official version. Of course I'm sure it is possible, but there are only
so many hours in a day.

-- Fernando