[PlanetCCRMA] multi card fc2

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Fri Jan 14 10:13:01 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:50:37 +0000, Steve Harris
<S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 05:40:29AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > [QUESTION] Can anyone tell me why Mozilla should be able to change the
> > clock frequency of the sound card anyway???? [/QUESTION]
>
> Heh, for the same reason JACK can.
>
> To get round this problem I stuck a $10 soundcard next to my hammerfall
> and made that card0, which is opened by mozilla and friends.
>
> - Steve

Yeah, maybe that's the answer, but then I guess I have to find a path
back to my speakers to get audio from apps that don't know that I want
it to go through the HDSP to get to the monitors. You must use and
external mixer? I don't, other than a couple of spare inputs on the
002 Rack which don't work unless Pro Tools is up and running.

Is this possibly some HDSP 9652 design issue that Alsa is trying to
deal with? Possibly the HDSP 9652 doesn't do resampling in hardware?
(not sure) Would there possibly be some method that's more Alsa
centric, like some default device in an asound.rc file that Mozilla
would talk to and then that device would send to the HDSP without
changing frequencies? I don't care about audio quality in this case. I
just want Alsa to not muck with the HDSP clocks when other PCs are
feeding important audio through the card.

I've never managed to make anything useful in the asound.rc file yet.
I'd need some guidance. LAU? Sign up for Alsa-User/Alsa-Devel again?

Thanks for the ideas.

- Mark