[PlanetCCRMA] Recommendations for Athlon Board for CCRMA (ARRGH!!!! #@$#$&^%# BioStar

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Fri Jan 14 07:10:03 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:26:58 +0100 (CET), Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen
<k.s.matheussen@notam02.no> wrote:

> Mark Knecht:
> > I've done well with Via. Please consider disregarding the warning on
> > the Ardour site about not using Via as this pertains, I beleive, to
> > older Via boards no longer sold.
> >
> > I have two Via-based DAWs. One ran Pro Tools for a long, long time and
> > now runs GigaStudio. The other runs Ardour. Both work well. Neither
> > motherboard is available anymore and the machines are getting a bit
> > slow by today's standards, but they work well.
> >

> I second that. I have lots of experience with athlon-based motherboards
> at notam for audio use, and via has allways been a safe chipset. I would
> also like to recommend asus, as they have allways been able to support
> more than 10m long mouse/keyboard cables. Very few motherboards seems
> to do that, so I guess asus is better designed.

And I will second that. Both of my Via machines are Asus motherboards.

I also had a very good Abit motherboard (again Via chipset) that was
taken down when the fan on the graphics adapter gave out, the VGA
processor over heated and caused a fire inside the box!

I now clean all my machines (i.e. - open them, blow out dust with a
vacume cleaner, oil the fans, etc.) twice a year to avoid a repeat of
that problem!

cheers,
Mark