[PlanetCCRMA] CCRMA on a laptop

Rick B zajelo3@cfl.rr.com
Thu Jan 13 18:30:01 2005

Andres Cabrera wrote:

> Hi,
> I said earlier:
>
>> I have an Echo Mona Laptop card which is working well, but requires
>> around 20ms latency for no xruns. (11ms produces an xrun every 30 min
>> or so, and less is unusable).
>>
> but today I found a recommendation to turn of the battery monitor.
> Though I run fluxbox, I tend to have gkrellm always on the side to
> help me mount my firewire drives. Disabling it made it possible to run
> at 5.8 ms latency, for 8 hours without xruns (very promising).
>
> Cheers,
> Andrés

    This brings up a good point. I used to set up Windows based DAWs at
a small midi store here in Orlando, and I would always make sure to ask
if the customer was going to use the machine for anything besides audio
work, so I would know what I could remove or turn off. Linux machines
are no different in this aspect, as the more bells and whistles stuff
you can turn off the better. So I was wondering if anyone knows if
"hotplug" continually polls to find out if a new device has been
attached? If so is there a selective way to turn it off and on?

                Rick B