[PlanetCCRMA] CCRMA freezes on BioStar MC7CD

Sat Jan 8 19:28:01 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 17:16, Rick Sutphin wrote:
> I have been trying, unsucessfully, to get planet ccrma to run stablely
> on a Biostar M7NCD motherboard with and AMD 3200+.
>
> I have tried FC1, FC2, and FC3 (I originally suspected that driver
> support for the board might not be mature) with the same results.

Wow, strange it fails on all of them. As usual in these cases I would
recommend that you check your hardware, at least the memory (there is a
program called memtest386 that can be burned into a cdrom and tests all
memory on boot).

> The
> installation goes fine with no problems, But when the computer sits
> unattended it will completely lock-up to the point where it has to be
> reset.

Does this happen with the original redhat/fedora kernels? Or only with
the Planet CCRMA kernels? When unattended, does it start screen savers?
Some screen savers are problematic (the ones that use openGL, I think).
If so, try disabling them.

> And when the system is restarted, the mouse pointer is very jerky
> with a great deal of lag between mouse movement and movement of the
> mouse pointer.
>
> I have checked through /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg, but did not
> see anything that looked out of the ordinary.
>
> At this point, I am not even sure what it is that is crashing X, the
> kernel, or something else. So I am not sure, other than the obligatory
> goole search, where to start with trouble-shooting.

Hard to know what could be wrong. You could boot into runlevel 3 instead
of 5[*] (ie: no X) and see if the machine dies with no X server running.

-- Fernando

[*] edit the kernel boot prompt in grub, erase the "rhgc quiet" at the
end if it is there and replace that with 3