[PlanetCCRMA] Planet from FC1 to FC3

Sat Jan 8 19:00:01 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 18:42, Timo Sivula wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 06:42, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > > /etc/modprobe.conf is edited every time I boot the box. Who edits my
> > > files?
> >
> > I think it is some component of kudzu. You could try to see what happens
> > if you disable that automatic startup of kudzu:
> >   /sbin/chkconfig --del kudzu
> > In some situations kudzu is a pain.....
>
> Now /etc/modprobe.conf stays as I write it, but prism54 still gets
> loaded, so I have to do the rmmod thingy at boot to get on the net.

Hmmm, I was investigating how the init scripts load the sound modules in
fc3 and perhaps one "feature" there is causing your problem. Hardware
related modules are loaded early in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. The shell code
there looks at /etc/modprobe.conf but it also adds modules returned by
/sbin/kmodule (part of initscripts). I don't how it does what it does
(have not tried to look at the code), but it lists types of hardware and
the corresponding kernel modules. I presume this is an attempt to
initialize any hardware that has not been configured. If this is
returning the undesired prism module then that's probably the problem.
Try running it on a terminal (/sbin/kmodule).

> > > file called menu.lst in the grub directory that links to grub.conf. Is
> > > this the file I should edit?
> >
> > I don't know and this is strange. What is the content of that file? Do
> > you have a /boot directory? Or do you have a separate /boot partition?
> > (check /etc/fstab) Do you have a subdirectory /boot/grub in either case?
> > What is in there?
>
> Indeed, I have a separate boot partition, which was used during boot but
> did not get mounted. The reference in /etc/fstab was wrong. This may or
> may not be a bug in the installation program.

Probably a bug in the install program.

> I briefly tested the 2.6.9 and 2.6.10 kernels, and they seem to perform
> as good  in term of latency as the 2.4 ccrma kernel I am currently
> using.

That's good to know...
-- Fernando