[PlanetCCRMA] New Install For FC3

Thu Jan 6 16:01:02 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 15:43, Pasi Karppinen wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 12:17 +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> > You should be fine, I've run hyperthreaded machines on kernels older than
> > the one in FC3.
>
> Well, you were right! I was able to install Planet CCRMA SMP kernel and
> a couple of sound applications on Fedora Core 3. I'm currently using
> Planet CCRMA 2.6.10-2.1.11 kernel, but I will later try Planet CCRMA
> kernel 2.6.9-2.3.rdt that has Ingo Molnar's low latency patches.
>
> There was only two minor problems that I faced:
>
> 1) some applications gave me this error:
> "..open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory"
>
> I realise this is a problem with Fedora Core 3 (I haven't configured it
> properly). I don't know how it handles sound devices, but as a
> workaround I had to type 'modprobe snd-seq'. After that all the
> applications started nicely.

You could enable the old alsa startup script that is part of the
alsa-driver package, that will start the alsa sequencer as part of the
boot process:

  /sbin/chkconfig --add alsasound

> 2) I have M-Audio Delta 66 soundcard and would like to use
> 'envy24control' -utility, but it refuses to start giving me this error:
>
> [root@zoostation ~]# envy24control
> using    --- input_channels: 4
>          --- output_channels: 4
>          --- pcm_output_channels: 8
>          --- spdif in/out channels: 2
> envy24control: seq.c:3752: snd_seq_event_output_buffer: Assertion `seq
> && ev' failed.
> Aborted

I have not tried yet the new version of alsa on an ice1712 based card,
this looks like an internal alsa problem.

-- Fernando