[PlanetCCRMA] multiple card synching

Fri Feb 25 10:19:00 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 00:38, Michele Spinolo wrote:
> > That would be the z8.8a (further down in the page). And yes, they are
> > expensive. I think I must have been the first user of the z8.8a as it
> > was not really working and had to get a firmware upgrade from them that
> > finally fixed it :-)
>
> it seems I found a used z-8.8a unit for a quite cheap price (650$) and going
> to buy it: I was wondering if you could be so kind to provide some more
> infos.
> First the owner told me it's "some time it has not been powered up", so I
> was wondering how to check firmware release in order to do not buy a not
> working unit, and if the firmware is easy to upgrade.

My memory is fuzzy about this, it was a while ago (two, three years?) I
imagine by now the firmware is "stable" :-) I think they initially were
going to ship me a board but then decided a whole unit was easier.
Beware, I don't know if it can do 24/96 over adat (or spdif for that
matter), I only used it for 16 transfers, I think.

> Then could you please tell me if you ever made some sample rate conversion
> quality test and its results?

Sorry, I did not do any tests, just used it. If my memory serves me all
spdif inputs are sample rate converted, regretfully I don't remember the
chips that were used but I did look them up and thought the specs were
pretty good. If needed I could try to find the unit, we are in a
temporary location while our main building is renovated and I don't
really know where it is stored.

-- Fernando