[PlanetCCRMA] Re: JACK isn't getting realtime (UPDATE)

Neil Klepeis nklepeis@sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 14 13:44:01 2005

Hold everything!  I think I was confused about which kernel and
playback/capture state I was using (parameters parameters everywhere!).
  Now the RT stuff actually does seem to work.

I went back and tried everything again systematically with each FC3
kernel and playback or capture mode on the Soundblaster AWE64 card
(using ardour as the client).   Here's my results (RT=real time; NRT=no
real time):

Stock FC3 kernel w/AWE64:
RT:not available
NRT:reasonably few xruns in playback OR capture mode

Stable LL FC3 planet kernel w/AWE64:
RT: no xruns in playback OR capture mode
NRT: some xruns, but usable, actually maybe more than the stock kernel

Edge rdt LL FC3 planet kernel w/AWE64:
RT: no xruns in playback OR capture mode
NRT: some xruns, but usable

Note:  To use capture w/AWE64, one _MUST_ mute the playback channels or
ardour will suffer a hard death.   AWE64 can only playback at 8bit
during capture mode, which JACK does not like.  AWE64 can definitely NOT
be used in duplex mode.

Thanks for your help Fernando!

Neil