[PlanetCCRMA] NTP problems with planetccrma kernels

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Thu Dec 1 16:20:01 2005

Hi Fernando. As I'm not able to send to the NTP mailing list because both of
my ISP's have servers blocked by SORBS ( and it's not me that's doing the
spamming) I'm posting here because I have a problem with NTP. On FC2 using
the kernel from the original install (2.6.5-1.358) ntpd starts up ok and when
logging into KDE is still running and getting updates. If I use
2.6.10-0.4.rdt.rhfc2.ccrma, the interactive bootup shows on my client
machine.
opening firewall opening 192.168.0.230 for port 123   OK
opening firewall opening 192.168.0.228 for port 123   OK
starting ntpd                                                          OK

When I login to KDE, and open up services to check if the ntp daemon is
running, it says "ntpd dead but pid file exists"
I have to restart the daemon to get NTP running again.

Have you any idea why the planetccrma kernels are creating this problem?
Incidentally there is the same problem with FC3.

I know you're very busy with music apps, teaching an so on, and this isn't a
big problem, as I can easily restart the ntp daemon, but I would be
interested in finding out what is causing this problem. Nigel.