[PlanetCCRMA] NTP problems with planetccrma kernels

Tracey Hytry shakti@bayarea.net
Thu Dec 1 23:09:02 2005

Hi, Nigel

It's me again, the carefull one that has all of the machines around here running the planet's FC3.  We run a local time server here and have the rest of the machines use it.

A few weeks back there was a FC3 update that included NTP.  Everything broke here until we noticed that the update used different setup files for NTP.  Also, I have noticed a few different bugs with various programs while using the edge kernels.  This sometimes complicates things.

Last week I downloaded the source for the 2.6.14.3 kernel from kernel.org and built a nice little kernel but didn't try it out because of lack of time and not feeling like diverging too far from the planet by building the newest alsa to go with the kernel.  Right now I am busy with a bunch of other things and even though I would like to try a newer kernel/alsa setup;  I have more pressing things to do.

I really need to debug the problem with the broken snd_mtpva(?) driver that's included with the 2.6.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma kernel sometimes, or at least see if it's fixed with the .14 kernel(and newest alsa) with and without Ingo's patches.  The kernel does an oops when it tries to register the interrupt while running the latest planet FC3 edge kernel.

We tried a number of planet FC3 edge kernels and found that 2.6.12-0.21.rdt is fantastic for speed, stablility, and low sound latencies while running openGL apps with the Nvidia driver.  This is cool, but the broken driver isn't.  It's not such a big deal, as the machine in the music room dosen't need openGL.  What this all comes down to is that there is quite a bit of variation in how things work with the various edge kernels.

I'm kinda waiting for Fernando to release a new kernel and alsa for FC3 to see if the problems go away and no new ones come up.  I'm trying to run a pristine* planet setup here so that when bugs come up I know it's not because of someting I loaded on the machines.

*If you want to do a little bit of exploration check out the .config file for the planet kernels.  You'll notice that there is a lot of stuff specific to Fernando's build machine in the kernels.  It can be fun checking out what hardware he uses :)

Tracey.