[PlanetCCRMA] /var/ problem?

Gregory D. Weber gdweber@indiana.edu
Sat Aug 27 14:33:01 2005

At one time I encountered this problem with rpm so frequently that I made
the following notes:

"Repairing an RPM Database
-------------------------

Sometimes RPM hangs because of uncleared lock files.
Be patient with it; if you interrupt it, when it's just
slow, not really stuck, you create the problem!

To fix:
1.  Remove the lock files:
    rm /var/lib/rpm/__db.*
This may be enough.  If not, continue:
2.  Back up what's there:
    cd /var/lib
    tar czvf /tmp/rpmdb.tar.gz rpm
3.  Rebuild the database:
    rpm -vv --rebuilddb
4.  Verify its integrity
    cd /var/lib/rpm
    db_verify Packages
or if using rpm 4.2 (Red Hat 9.0) verify it this way:
    /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_verify Packages
5.  Remove the tarfile if all goes well.

If this is not sufficient, see http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/repairdb/
for the stronger medicine."

Greg

scott james <muzycmynd4000@yahoo.com> writes:

> What does this mean? I installed the ccrma core and
> upon startup I got failed to start so.1 permission
> denied. When I logged in and did dist upgrade I got
> this.. warning: cannot get exclusive lock on
> /var/lib/rpm/Packages What would this indicate?

Gregory D. Weber             http://mypage.iu.edu/~gdweber/
                             Telephone (765) 973-8420
Associate Professor of Computer Science
Chair, Curriculum and Informatics Committees
Indiana University East
2325 Chester Boulevard, Richmond, Indiana 47374-1289, U.S.A.
----
Plain text is the document format that maximizes readability and
minimizes hassle and hazard.  It is the format of the official documents
defining Internet protocols (http://www.rfc-editor.org/).