[PlanetCCRMA] RE: [PlanetCCRMA] general question

"Alexander Carôt" alexander_carot@gmx.net
Mon Aug 22 03:07:01 2005

> Anyway, that is what I think is happening.  If I am way off base sorry and
> feel free to correct me.

Hi - thanks a lot for this reply.

Well, you confirm what I felt already. Of course I'm aware of what latency
is and in fact my system gives me correct data that i.e. the callback
function is called each 4ms. Also when morroring sound with localhost I get
the result right 4ms later - so that is all correct. BTW : I'm not dealing
with Jack- just RtAudio which works with all common platforms.

But since I'm dealing with network music performances I'm interested in
sending my captured audio as fast as possible and I believed it would take
4ms to be captured and finally sent (32kHz,128Samples/Frame). To make sure
this is the case I measured how long it acutually takes to play the sound
until the callback function is called resulting in the playback of the sound
- and this took 16 ms.

The way I measured it is very simple : In Alsa-mixer I enabled the recording
and the playback section and recorded the line out with another machine. Can
anyone confirm this ???

Thanks in advance

-- A l e x

--