[PlanetCCRMA] Playing sound while logged out

Tue Aug 16 09:43:01 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 01:31, Vegard Sandvold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> maybe someone can help me solve a (I would believe) rather rare problem.
>
> I have recently set up a sound installation on a FC3 with planetccrma,
> where cron is used to schedule hourly sound playback through sndplay. The
> system is running unsupervised, without any users logged in.
>
> This creates a problem, however, because sndplay is not allowed access to
> the sound card when the user owning the cron job is not logged on! Which
> means no sound! Everything works fine when I'm logged on, and /dev/dsp has
> the following permissions and ownership:
> crw-------  1 riksarkivet root 14, 3 Aug  6 03:50 /dev/dsp
>
> Any ideas why this problem occurs? And how to get around it? Just changing
> the permissions won't work, as they are reverted when I log out.

To change the permissions permanently you have to edit
/etc/security/console.perms (see "man console.perms" for more details).

You probably want to change the default permissions of the audio devices
when not logged into the console to world writable.

-- Fernando