[PlanetCCRMA] Playing sound while logged out

Vegard Sandvold vegard.sandvold@notam02.no
Wed Aug 17 09:30:02 2005

On Tue, August 16, 2005 18:42, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano said:
> On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 01:31, Vegard Sandvold wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> maybe someone can help me solve a (I would believe) rather rare problem.
>>
>> I have recently set up a sound installation on a FC3 with planetccrma,
>> where cron is used to schedule hourly sound playback through sndplay.
>> The
>> system is running unsupervised, without any users logged in.
>>
>> This creates a problem, however, because sndplay is not allowed access
>> the sound card when the user owning the cron job is not logged on! Which
>> means no sound! Everything works fine when I'm logged on, and /dev/dsp
>> has
>> the following permissions and ownership:
>> crw-------  1 riksarkivet root 14, 3 Aug  6 03:50 /dev/dsp
>>
>> Any ideas why this problem occurs? And how to get around it? Just
>> changing
>> the permissions won't work, as they are reverted when I log out.
>
> To change the permissions permanently you have to edit
> /etc/security/console.perms (see "man console.perms" for more details).
>
> You probably want to change the default permissions of the audio devices
> when not logged into the console to world writable.

So I guess changing this line in /etc/security/console.perms:
<console>  0600 <sound>      0600 root

to this:
<console>  0600 <sound>      0666 root

should do the trick.

I'll try it out as soon as I get the chance. Thanks a lot!

--
Vegard