[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Problem with /usr/bin/jackstart

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 07:15:02 2005

On 8/15/05, Ron Pepper <feffer777@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't absolutely need Audacity, since other recorders are working,
> but I'm confused at not getting Audacity to work. I checked the wiki
> page and stopped the system sounds and did the other things
> mentioned. Audacity would run and I could import saved tracks into
> it, but I couldn't run xmms (for the audio stream) and run Audacity
> at the same time. It gave a connection error. My understanding is
> that it has to run alone. That's why I tried to get Jack working. I
> thought it was necessary to get Audacity and xmms running at the same
> time. Was I wrong about that?
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

Ron,
   If an application is not a 'Jack application', meaning that it was
written to talk to the JAck server, then it won't work with Jack.

1) xmms is not a 'Jack application' so in it's normal state it will ot
talk to Jack. xmms does have a jack plugin that does create a jack
interface so if you load that plugin then xmms will work with Jack.

2) Audacity was never a 'Jack application' and I've not heard of any
way to run it under Jack.

   Keep in mind, if you're not running Jack then in general you can
use only one audio app at a time. there is on possible work around to
this. Write a .asoundrc file and create virtual devices that use the
dmix plugin. This would, in theory, allow multiple Alsa apps to access
the Alsa sound server at the same time without using Jack. I've not
succeeded myself in making this work reliably though so look for
someone who can help before you undertake such a task.

Cheers,
Mark