[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Problem with /usr/bin/jackstart

Ron Pepper feffer777@yahoo.com
Sat Aug 13 22:13:00 2005

--- Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
> > [rp@localhost ~]$ /sbin/lspci -v
> >
> > ...02:02.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs [SB Live!
> > Value] EMU10k1X
> >         Subsystem: Creative Labs: Unknown device 1003
> >         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 18
> >         I/O ports at ecc0 [size=32]
> >         Capabilities: <available only to root>
>
> I seem to remember a thread in the alsa lists about the "Live!
> Value"
> (you may want to google for it). Apparently this card has very
> little to
> do with the "real" Live!...

Finally got my FC3 box to record audio streams successfully! In the
end it was a simple configuration issue. I was unclear about the
"capture" switch in amixer. The man page indicated that I could only
have one "capture" device active at a time, but I didn't realize that
meant the "capture" switch had to be on as well as a device unmuted
and active. In amixer that looked like 2 devices to me . After
muddling around, it all became clear as I looked at the
/etc/asound.state file.

Fernando, thanks for pointing me toward the ALSA emu10k1x site.
Though I had used it to compile the ALSA module for my system, your
reference made me think perhaps I had missed something. I had. There
was a clear reference that ALSA supported "capture" for this chip!
That told me it should work, which I was beginning to doubt. There
are still some remaining issues that I need to work out to get
time-shifted radio, but at least I have one piece to the puzzle.

Thanks,
Ron