[PlanetCCRMA] planetedge kernels and POSIX semaphores

Sat Aug 13 12:11:02 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 07:41, Charlls Quarra wrote:
>  --- Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
> escribió:
>
> > If you need nptl and rh9 you could use the
> > capabilities enabled Planet
> > CCRMA kernel that derives from the original RedHat
> > kernel but the
> > tradeoff is that the latency behavior is not that
> > good.
>
> There seems to be at least two problems with rh9 with
> capabilities; the jack ccrma package seems to be
> compiled with Sys V SHM support (thats the message i
> get from the qjackctl window when i start it).

Why is that a problem? Last I heard the other option was not reliable
under linux (that may have changed in newer kernels and distros but it
is most probably a problem in rh9/2.4.x). I don't remember what the
specific problem was, you may want to go to the jack mailing list
archives.

> Also,
> the modules for my CM8738 on board card doesn't load,
> if i do alsasound start it will dump me:
>
> # /etc/init.d/alsasound start
> Starting sound driver snd-cmipci modprobe: Can't
> locate module snd-cmipci
>
>     [FAILED]
>
> if i do alsaconf it will say that there are no PCI or
> PnP cards. However, lspci detects the cards
>

> 00:0f.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media
> Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
> 00:0f.1 Communication controller: C-Media Electronics
> Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
>

> I get completely good sound and jack starts nice with
> the 2.4.26 ll kernel

I assume (you don't say explicitly) that the problem with sound is only
happening with the RedHat derived kernel, right? If that is the case you
most probably have not installed the alsa kernel modules for that
kernel.

On rh9 the name of those packages are "alsa-kernel-*", you can see what
you have by doing this:
  rpm -q -a |grep ^alsa-kernel
You should have one that matches the kernel you are trying to run
("uname -r" to see which one).

Or you can install:
  apt-get -o RPM::Install-Options::=--oldpackage install
planetccrma-core-redhat

(all in one line)
That should bring in all that is needed.
Saludos y suerte!
-- Fernando