[PlanetCCRMA] Re: conflict libasound installing ccrma on FC2

Mon Apr 18 20:08:01 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 19:43, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 06:05:57PM -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > I'm not arguing the same thing over and over yet again. [...] You
> > are not going to help bring the future by willfully creating
> > incompatibilities now, [...]
>
> Wow, did I trigger this response? :(
>
> Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion and also to drop discussion,
> but please don't accuse me on "willfully creating incompatibilites"
> w/o having gone into the details.

Please reread the thread in the bugzilla report. That is what
I meant when I said this had been discussed before.

> I'm now going to sleep to recover from the smack on my face ... :(

Sorry, but AFAIK this is an incompatibility with all the rest of the
repositories that I know. AFAIK this was not imposed on you but was a
free packaging choice you made.

When you originally split the package you thought there would be no side
effects, but there were. I have made similar mistakes in the past and I
have, over time, moved over to the "standard" used by most other
packagers. This is, again, just my opinion with regards to _this_
particular package and the incompatibilities it created, not an opinion
about packaging guidelines for libraries in general (I don't think this
is the appropriate list for that discussion).

-- Fernando