[PlanetCCRMA] wierd hanging of jack, or some other process using fc3 edge kernel

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Fri Apr 8 06:23:02 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 5:59 AM, Shayne O'Connor <forums@machinehasnoagenda.com> wrote:

> dear lord, i've just gone around in a circle and made it back to this
> original post :(

That's terrible! Very sorry!

> how do i go about going back to the 1.08 alsa driver on FC3?

Do oyu not still have the older kernels installed? Look in
/boot/grub/grub.conf and post back what's there if you have any
questions about it. If you had 1.08 running at some time then most
likely it's still installed.

On the other hand if you never had them installed then I'd pull up
synaptic and do a search on 'kernel-modules-alsa'. From there it's
pretty straight forward to tell what is currently on the system,
what's currently in the repository, and you can do an install of an
older kernel that matches the Alsa version you're interested in. On my
FC2 system here it looks like 1.08 is aligned with a 2.6.10 kernel.
It's probably the same for you.

Install the kernel, kernel-modules-alsa, reboot choosing the kernel
and see if it works better. If it does change grub.conf to ensure it
boots the next time.

> i tried forcing the 1.08 version from synaptic, but then it told me it
> was gonna uninstall just about everything else on my system, and i've
> been down that tragic path before ...

Never force!!

good luck. Hope this helps.
Mark