[PlanetCCRMA] wierd hanging of jack, or some other process using fc3 edge kernel

Shayne O'Connor forums@machinehasnoagenda.com
Fri Apr 8 05:54:03 2005

dear lord, i've just gone around in a circle and made it back to this
original post :(

the kernel oops are back, but i guess that is to be expected seeing as
we reverted back to the alsa i was originally having troubles with :D

while i'm laughing on the outside, i'm crying on the inside ...

the big problem now is - where do i devolve to from here? both alsa
modules available for FC3 appear to be buggy - at least where the
EMU10K1 driver is concerned ... granted, the oops only seems to happen a
couple times a day, but my paranoia and hair-loss are indicator of my
shattered nerves .... well, not that bad, but i like to exaggerate :)

how do i go about going back to the 1.08 alsa driver on FC3? i think
this is going to be the only solution for me until things stabilise ...
i'm guessing it would be something similar to this:

  rpm -q -a | grep 1.0.9-0.2.rc1
that should list alsa-driver and hte kernel-module-alsa kernel module
packages, if that is correct then:

  rpm -q -a | grep 1.0.9-0.2.rc1 | xargs rpm -e --nodeps
that should get rid of the old alsa packages

apt-get update
apt-get -f install

i tried forcing the 1.08 version from synaptic, but then it told me it
was gonna uninstall just about everything else on my system, and i've
been down that tragic path before ...

help!!!!

shayne