[PlanetCCRMA] wierd hanging of jack, or some other process using fc3 edge kernel

Shayne O'Connor forums@machinehasnoagenda.com
Fri Apr 8 08:44:00 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:

>On Apr 8, 2005 5:59 AM, Shayne O'Connor <forums@machinehasnoagenda.com> wrote:
>

>>dear lord, i've just gone around in a circle and made it back to this
>>original post :(
>>

>That's terrible! Very sorry!
>

>>how do i go about going back to the 1.08 alsa driver on FC3?
>>

>Do oyu not still have the older kernels installed? Look in
>/boot/grub/grub.conf and post back what's there if you have any
>questions about it. If you had 1.08 running at some time then most
>likely it's still installed.
>
>On the other hand if you never had them installed then I'd pull up
>synaptic and do a search on 'kernel-modules-alsa'. From there it's
>pretty straight forward to tell what is currently on the system,
>what's currently in the repository, and you can do an install of an
>older kernel that matches the Alsa version you're interested in. On my
>FC2 system here it looks like 1.08 is aligned with a 2.6.10 kernel.
>It's probably the same for you.
>
>Install the kernel, kernel-modules-alsa, reboot choosing the kernel
>and see if it works better. If it does change grub.conf to ensure it
>boots the next time.

cool - did this, getting the 2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma kernel, which
brought in the 1.08 alsa module. thanx!

a question, though - does it matter that the alsa-driver/alsa-lib etc
packages are still the 1.09 ones? cos if i select to downgrade to the
1.08 versions of those packages, that's when synaptic wants to start
wholesale uninstalling ...

>>i tried forcing the 1.08 version from synaptic, but then it told me it
>>was gonna uninstall just about everything else on my system, and i've
>>been down that tragic path before ...
>>

>Never force!!

heh - i've learnt that the hard way .... many times :)

shayne