[PlanetCCRMA] Re: latest kernel rocks

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Sun Apr 3 15:10:01 2005

On Apr 3, 2005 2:54 PM, Peter Lutek <plutek@infinity.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 13:24:07 -0700, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 3, 2005 1:00 PM, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@atrpms.net> wrote:
> >
> >> The long term strategy is to let up2date die and replace it with
> >> something else (like a graphical yum, or smart if it matures fast
> >> enough).
> >> --
> >
> > Portage. Let's get Fernando interested in Gentoo instead. He could
> > build the apps there and we download them using portage instead of
> > apt/yum.
> >
> > I think it would be very cool since Gentoo supports many more apps than
> > FC.
> >

> yes, this is precisely why i moved to gentoo. i was running into too many
> things i had to compile, and dependencies i had to meet manually anyway
> under FC. gentoo has a VERY comprehensive set of apps available as
> ebuilds, and is continually upgraded, rather than jumping up in discrete
> leaps (i.e. FC1 > FC2 > FC3).
>
> unfortunately, there ARE a few key audio apps missing in the portage tree
> -- i.e. rtmix and csound. however, i've found more of what i need there
> than in the Planet. portage is certainly a comprehensive package
> management system.

Personally I think it will be a bit hard to get Fernando really
interested in Gentoo, but my reason for going there was much the same.
On either distro you will generally have to compile stuff. On RH/FC
it's jsut hard to find libraries and you always wonder if they are
going to be compatible with other stuff you are using. Gentoo solves
this problem.

For those of us out here in Internet-land a Planet distro based on
Gentoo could be really great. Fernando would handle the kernel and
compile all the big apps, etc. We users would limit portage from
upgrading critical components like glibc and we would, as a group I
think, choose a set of common use flags and stick with them. We could
then use portage, pointing at the Planet servers, to download most
audio apps, but would still have access to all sorts of other great
little general purpose apps and would have the option to upgrade audio
if there was a need to. (Like a new Ardour test release that Fernando
wouldn't have to mess with.

However I think from my one trip to CCRMA that Fernando has so many
machines to manage on campus that Gentoo as a distro for all of those
would be an insane amount of work for him to set up there, but
something like this would be great for so many of us out here. I think
many audio users would use Gentoo if they had support as great as what
we get here.

Since Fernando is possibly reading this I'm curious about how he sees
this and (possibly) what might be done in this way to have a user
contributed Gentoo version of the Planet where some number of us help
set up and maintain the downloads.

cheers,
Mark