[PlanetCCRMA] Re: latest kernel rocks

Peter Lutek plutek@infinity.net
Sun Apr 3 14:52:02 2005

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 13:24:07 -0700, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2005 1:00 PM, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@atrpms.net> wrote:
>
>> The long term strategy is to let up2date die and replace it with
>> something else (like a graphical yum, or smart if it matures fast
>> enough).
>> --
>
> Portage. Let's get Fernando interested in Gentoo instead. He could
> build the apps there and we download them using portage instead of
> apt/yum.
>
> I think it would be very cool since Gentoo supports many more apps than
> FC.

yes, this is precisely why i moved to gentoo. i was running into too many
things i had to compile, and dependencies i had to meet manually anyway
under FC. gentoo has a VERY comprehensive set of apps available as
ebuilds, and is continually upgraded, rather than jumping up in discrete
leaps (i.e. FC1 > FC2 > FC3).

unfortunately, there ARE a few key audio apps missing in the portage tree
-- i.e. rtmix and csound. however, i've found more of what i need there
than in the Planet. portage is certainly a comprehensive package
management system.

-p