[PlanetCCRMA] Re: latest kernel rocks

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Sun Apr 3 17:14:01 2005

On Apr 3, 2005 3:51 PM, Brad Fuller <brad@sonaural.com> wrote:
>  Mark Knecht wrote:
> However I think from my one trip to CCRMA that Fernando has so many
>  machines to manage on campus that Gentoo as a distro for all of those
>  would be an insane amount of work for him to set up there, but
>  something like this would be great for so many of us out here. I think
>  many audio users would use Gentoo if they had support as great as what
>  we get here. How much work would it be, do you think, if we took this on?
>
>  Also: how hard is it to change a current FC3 distro to a gentoo?
>
>  brad

Brad,
   Beyond the things Peter and I are discussing, I think the first
thing you'd want to look at is just how much harder it is to build a
Gentoo box. FC2 - 1 hour. Gentoo your first time - 2-3 days!

   After it's up and running though you never have another discussion
about FC1/FC2/FC3/FC4. It's just Gentoo and it's always up to date.

Cheers,
Mark