[PlanetCCRMA] FC2.1vP9 - jackstart just quits...

Thu Sep 30 15:14:00 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 15:01, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:04:35 -0700, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I have another non-experimental kernel that does not have that good
> > > latency performance and does not include the latest irq threading stff.
> > > It has a matching alsa 1.0.5a driver which may or may not be new enough
> > > to recognize your card:
> > >
> > > apt-get install kernel#2.6.7-1.437.1.ll.rhfc2.ccrma
> > > apt-get install kernel-module-alsa-2.6.7-1.437.1.ll.rhfc2.ccrma
>
> Hi,
> This kernel finds my sound card but exhibits the interrupt holdup
> problems. Once again, alsaplayer runs fine if I move the mouse.

Ingo (Molnar[*]) is curious about whether this is solved in the S7
voluntary preemption patch... so I put an even more experimental than
usual version of the kernel in the Planet Edge repository, it'd be
interesting to see what happens with this one in your setup if you have
the time:

apt-get install kernel#2.6.8.1-1.520.1vS7.ll.rhfc2.ccrma

> Probably you are right and this is all caused by the performance
> patches. To me this is all very strange. If I download a straight
> kernel.org 2.5.8.1 kernel everything works fine, at least when
> compiled under Gentoo.

Hmmm, it could depend also on which kernel options are enabled in the
build, maybe I'm missing something important. Could you send me (off the
list) the .config file used to build the kernel in Gentoo?

-- Fernando

[*] the author of the voluntary preemption patch