[PlanetCCRMA] RH9 CCRMA CDROM Install Snag -- apt-get dist-upgrade

Barton Bosch bartonbosch@SoftHome.net
Wed Sep 29 23:18:01 2004

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 17:50, Barton Bosch wrote:
>
>>I've run into a problem trying to install the RH9 Planet on the new
>>computer (Sempron 2800+) that I've built.  I'm limited to 56k so
>>I've been using the 10/14/2003 CDROMs that I have used to install on
>>my production machine (PIII 550).
>>
>>Following the CCRMA docs included with the CDROMs everything has
>>gone smoothly through installing apt, the CCRMA core, rebooting to
>>the ll kernel.  But then in trying to run apt-get dist-upgrade the
>>whole system freezes up when it tries to get glibc-common from the
>>disks.
>>
>>Any ideas what is up?
>

> The only thing I can think of is a problem in the cdrom itself.

That might be it.  This particular CDROM drive is a used unit (new
to me) freshly installed in this computer.  I haven't used it
extensively but I did run a test by reading a few GB of FLACs from
it and then checksumming them.

> Have you
> checked that the whole disk is readable?

These are the same RH9 + CCRMA cdroms that I have installed from
many times in the past and they appear to be scratch free.  There
are a few fingerprints on the top lacquer but it would really
surprise me if they were causing the probs.

I spent most of the day figuring out an xorg.conf file for running
dual monitors and experienced some weirdness with the CDROM drive --
it might have a sometimey reading problem.

> Are there any errors in the
> system log when that happens?

If I can't work around it by using the other CDROM drive I'll get
back to you.  Mainly I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't missing
something obvious esp. in re. to the new system architecture.

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Barton