[PlanetCCRMA] FC2 Bleeding Edge install question

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Sep 28 13:17:01 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 10:32:16AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Fernando, Steve or anyone else out on the edge,
>
>    I've installed FC2 and have started the Planet installation. So far
> very, very smooth. Great work Fernando. apt is updated and Synaptic is
> installed. I've not modified any start-up processes and am just running
> KDE for now. My thought is to leave everything as generic as possible
> and then only change things (like fluxbox for KDE) should I run into a
> problem. I know Steve runs (or ran) KDE and reports good results, so I

Actually I run Gnome FWIW.

> should just go with that for now as it's easy to change later. I've
> rebooted just to ensure no extra warning messages and am looking around
> the system for now.
>
>    The next step is doing the 2.6.7-Planet kernel but I'm a bit unsure
> of the right steps. I'm at this link, which will likely break. Sorry.
>
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/changelog.html#latestplanetcoretwo
>
> and the text launches into a discussion of how to log the possible
> sources of xruns before I've installed the kernel. I presume that the
> right thing to do is to skip the discussion and go to the command:
>
> apt-get install planetccrma-core
>
> which I guess picks up the right kernel since I've modified apt with the
> FC2 files? Is this correct?

You should probably install the "P9" kernel, there was a message from
Fernando giveing the exact command line, but I'm afraid I dont have a link
to it.

> Also, there has been considerable discussion on the Gentoo lists that
> the right modutils package for 2.6 series kernels is called
> module-init-tools. I see what appears to be the older 2.4 series
> modutils here:
>
> apt-get install modutils
>
> I assume this is correct for what we're doing on FC2 and that the other
> is just a Gentoo thing?

FC2 comes with a version of module-init-tools that works fine with the
planet kernels.

- Steve