[PlanetCCRMA] FC2 Bleeding Edge install question

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Tue Sep 28 10:33:02 2004

Fernando, Steve or anyone else out on the edge,

    I've installed FC2 and have started the Planet installation. So far
very, very smooth. Great work Fernando. apt is updated and Synaptic is
installed. I've not modified any start-up processes and am just running
KDE for now. My thought is to leave everything as generic as possible
and then only change things (like fluxbox for KDE) should I run into a
problem. I know Steve runs (or ran) KDE and reports good results, so I
should just go with that for now as it's easy to change later. I've
rebooted just to ensure no extra warning messages and am looking around
the system for now.

    The next step is doing the 2.6.7-Planet kernel but I'm a bit unsure
of the right steps. I'm at this link, which will likely break. Sorry.

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/changelog.html#latestplanetcoretwo

and the text launches into a discussion of how to log the possible
sources of xruns before I've installed the kernel. I presume that the
right thing to do is to skip the discussion and go to the command:

apt-get install planetccrma-core

which I guess picks up the right kernel since I've modified apt with the
FC2 files? Is this correct?

Also, there has been considerable discussion on the Gentoo lists that
the right modutils package for 2.6 series kernels is called
module-init-tools. I see what appears to be the older 2.4 series
modutils here:

apt-get install modutils

I assume this is correct for what we're doing on FC2 and that the other
is just a Gentoo thing?

Not 100% sure about either of the above so I'm going to hang a bit until
I get an answer on them.

Thanks in advance,
Mark