[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora 1 or 2

Mark Knecht markknecht@comcast.net
Mon Sep 27 10:13:02 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 09:56, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 09:43:19AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 06:46, R Parker wrote:
> > > The solutions for low latency in 2.6 are in the early
> > > stages of development. I think the average 2.6 user on
> > > these lists is someone that's interested in testing
> > > and reporting performance. The 2.4 kernel has been
> > > running stable for a pretty fair amount of time. Maybe
> > > a couple years or even longer.
> > >
> > > ron
> >
> > Some of us are stuck. I have a new laptop with a new chipset. I get no
> > DMA support with a kernel older than 2.6.3, and I get no realtime
> > support with a kernel newer than 2.4.X.
>
> I'm in a similar situation (suspending doesnt work usefully in 2.4), sp
> I'm using bleeding edge Planet. FWIW, its working very well as long as I
> temporarily disable the CPU frequency sclaing features (I have a script to
> do it).
>
> I've also installed FC2 on my studio desktop machine (I was feeling daring
> :) and thats running well too. A bit better than it was in 2.4 infact.
> It's an Athlon + via chipset + nvidia + hammerfall.
>
> For people playing with the IRQ threading stuff or using laptops I have a
> script that tries to intelligently turn on/off the 2.6 realtime features:
> http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~swh/rtsettings
>
> - Steve

Steve,
   The info is very useful. Thanks.

   Can you say at this point that with FC2 and the newest Jack 0.99-x
that you arent having any *major* problems? On my machines, and
apparently a number of other folks judging by the list trafic here and
elsewhere over the last week or so, it seems that something is going on.

   I'm hesitant to keep jumping around between distros but I'm not able
to make the realtime-lsm stuff work for me under Gentoo and I have an
upcoming recording gig i 4 weeks or so where I'm truly interested in
taking Ardour on the road so I need my laptop working better than it is
right now.

   Thanks for any insights.

With best regards,
Mark