[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora 1 or 2

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Sep 27 09:57:01 2004

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 09:43:19AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 06:46, R Parker wrote:
> > The solutions for low latency in 2.6 are in the early
> > stages of development. I think the average 2.6 user on
> > these lists is someone that's interested in testing
> > and reporting performance. The 2.4 kernel has been
> > running stable for a pretty fair amount of time. Maybe
> > a couple years or even longer.
> >
> > ron
>
> Some of us are stuck. I have a new laptop with a new chipset. I get no
> DMA support with a kernel older than 2.6.3, and I get no realtime
> support with a kernel newer than 2.4.X.

I'm in a similar situation (suspending doesnt work usefully in 2.4), sp
I'm using bleeding edge Planet. FWIW, its working very well as long as I
temporarily disable the CPU frequency sclaing features (I have a script to
do it).

I've also installed FC2 on my studio desktop machine (I was feeling daring
:) and thats running well too. A bit better than it was in 2.4 infact.
It's an Athlon + via chipset + nvidia + hammerfall.

For people playing with the IRQ threading stuff or using laptops I have a
script that tries to intelligently turn on/off the 2.6 realtime features:
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~swh/rtsettings

- Steve