[PlanetCCRMA] Any advice for building a linux-based pro studio piece by piece?

Brian Jarrett bjarrett@garcoschools.org
Mon Sep 20 09:24:03 2004

Hello all,

I've posted here before about recommended hardware for digital recording and I know that Stanford uses OmniStudio with the PlanetCCRMA packages.  However, I'm just now getting enough money to start purchasing equipment so I'm revisiting this topic from a slightly different angle.

Background:
I want to merge my interest in computers and music in building a linux-based studio.  Right now, I'll be using a small room in my house for isolated recording.  Hopefully, I'll be able to make money with my setup and eventually move to a larger place.  Most likely at first I'd be doing recordings for things like radio ads and promos (my wife can do voice acting) I may also write little jingles and record them.  So basically, these would be small audio projects.  I may also make my setup mobile and do things like record live perfomances of High School bands, choirs, etc. (especially as I'm learning to use my equipment to its greatest effect.)

So, I'm looking at all the possibilities -- Digital and Analog mixers, ADC/DAC (both external and internal), and other things like midi control surfaces.  I really like the idea of having a mixing console of some sort (not using a mouse on a gui) to get my recording levels.  As I understand it a digital mixer would do the ADC and act as a control surface, but I'm unsure if something like Ardour would work (or even be needed) if I bought one.  I don't really care to have everything integrated like that, in case I wanted to get better ADC or something at a later date.  Is it possible to use a midi control surface with motorized faders to control the mix, while using something like the OmniStudio for ADC/DAC and Ardour as the software?  I would think a setup like that would offer alot of flexibility for future upgrades, etc.

I probably have some "holes" in my understanding of how everything works together, but am anxious to get it all figured out.  Any help/enlightenment is greatly appreciated.

Brian