[PlanetCCRMA] AC3 passthrough/nforce2/sblive => ccrma? (was: mythvideo FC1 rpm's)

Axel Thimm ATrpms development list <atrpms-devel@atrpms.net>, planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sat Sep 18 08:33:01 2004

--oLBj+sq0vYjzfsbl

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 10:20:31AM -0500, Roger Little wrote:
> I am having trouble getting AC3 passthrough to work on my NForce2
> motherboard (but DTS and PCM audio work fine), and AC3 and DTS sound
> on my SB Live 5.1 is very choppy.  The binary nforce audio driver
> doesn't work with 2.6 kernels unless you change some compile
> options.  I didn't feel like compiling a kernel, so I just installed
> FC1 instead for testing.  Well, the nvidia binary driver is very
> buggy and locks up my system (and lots of other people, too) while
> jumping around in mp3 files or DVD.  So, I am back to my original
> FC2 setup now.  I think that the only thing that's keeping Linux
> from being a great HTPC solution is in the audio department.  ALSA
> is just too complex for most people to deal with.  Sure, it works
> fine for people with 2 channel analog output, but when you try to
> use 5.1 analog or digital output things get complicated, at least
> that's been my experience.  Myth (the best PVR, period), xine, and
> mplayer are awesome, but the audio thing is what is holding me back
> from using it full-time.  I need digital output for Myth and
> passthrough for xine and mplayer, but I have yet to achieve that
> with the SB Live 5.1 or the NForce2 chipset.

Are you aware of the PlanetCCRMA project (Cced)? Activated when using
the medley-package-config. This project is dedicated to professional
audio/sound tuning kernels for low latency and providing audio
software as well as good documentation:

       http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

I don't know whether your issues can be solved (I thought for nforce2
there were OSS drivers), but if they can be solved PlanetCCRMA will
know how :)

(currently PlanetCCRMA still recommends FC1 for high quality audio, so
going back to FC1 was not too wrong, but there are also 2.6 kernels
for FC2 available for testing. Just give them a try)
--=20
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

--oLBj+sq0vYjzfsbl

--oLBj+sq0vYjzfsbl--