[PlanetCCRMA] intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG with planetedge kernels

Matthew Allen Matthew Allen <mtallen@gmail.com>
Fri Nov 19 13:15:02 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:03:46 -0500, Peter Lutek <plutek@infinity.net> wrote:
> naive questions:
>
> what is HWADDR and how do i determine the correct values?
> what is MODE? (my router "wireless network mode" is G-only)

HWADDR (which is the MAC address of your wireless dev) can be gotten
by doing an ifconfig eth1. I dont know exactly where ifconfig is
getting the info, but I guess if you troll through /proc/ you may find
it..

MODE is either going to be Ad-Hoc or Managed. Ad-Hoc is when you want
to connect directly to someone else's computer. Managed is when you
connect to  wireless point. I have not gotten Ad-Hoc to work yet under
linux.

A word here. All of these values I got from the card while running
windows. In all honesty I dont really know how to go about getting
this data through linux. Which is sort of a pain.

> thanks very much for your help, matthew - i owe you a beer or something!

not really, with the amount of help I have recieved on this list and
thers like it, I am just glad I can contribute.