[PlanetCCRMA] no recording sound on fc1

Carl Bolstad Carl Bolstad <carl.bolstad@gmail.com>
Fri Nov 12 23:16:01 2004

Hello List!

I am a newbie Linux user (since about a year ago), and a few months
ago I downloaded the Planet CCRMA fc1 disks and installed the system
from scratch. I printed out the ccrma install instruction pages and
kept notes on what I did. So far, I have been unable to get any of the
audio applications to work, however. They install OK, and they seem to
run, but I can't get any sound into them. For instance, I was trying
to record from a stereo tape player into Ardour, but I can't get
Ardour to register any sound coming in. I checked the output from the
tape with headphones, and it seems ok.

It took me a while to get jack to start. I had to run the ALSA
soundcard detection script several times; each time it seemed to work,
but there were always modules missing or something, and there was no
sound. Now I've succeeded in getting some sound on my system, and jack
will start, though I'm still not sure it's doing what it should. I
just know that Ardour will start up, now.

Here's the latest output from starting jack:

[~/Sound Files]$ cat jack.messages
back from read, ret = 1 errno == Success
jackd 0.99.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

apparent rate = 44099
creating alsa driver ... hw|hw|1024|2|44099|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 44099Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
Couldn't open hw for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
Couldn't open hw for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
jackd watchdog: timeout - killing jackd
[~/Sound Files]$

I know 44099 Hz is kind of weird, but it used to give me an error
message about 44100 Hz not matching 44099 Hz, so I thought I would try
requesting 44099 in the first place (since nothing was working
anyway...).

The root of the problem may in fact be with the ALSA drivers, because
whenever I boot up the system, I get error messages like the following
emailed to root: