[PlanetCCRMA] Greetings FC2 I got capabilities and jack working

Daniel Tonda Castillo dtc@gawab.com
Tue May 25 11:28:01 2004

Hello to everyone in the list!

I now have jack capabiilities in FC2!

Here's what I did on my FC2 laptop with original
kernel-2.6.5-1.358.

1) Downloaded kernel-2-6-6 from kernel.org and also downloaded
the 2.6.6-mm3 patch.
2) If this is terrible please tell me, I made a /home/kernel
directory, and
    extracted the new kernel there.
    tar -jxvf linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2
* The steps 3 - 7 were a total failure
3) Applied the 2.6.6-mm3 patch:
    patch -t -p0 -i 2.6.6-mm3
4) Copied /boot/config-2.6.5-1.358 to .config
5) make oldconfig
6) make xconfig (just to see if there were any other options),
now this
    presented me with the qt dialog, but it had no characters I
could
    recognize, like the charset was completely fsck'ed up... so
    discarded it.
7) make bzImage
8) Bunch of errors!
* Ok start over...
9) I made a backup of the patched kernel to another directory:
    mv linux-2.6.6 linux-2.6.6.patched
10) Did 2, 4, 5 again
11) Made xconfig but the same problem appeared so dumped it.
11a) Edited the makefile and added my initials to the version
number just for testing dtc00
12) make bzImage && make modules (almost an hour later
everything built)
13) sudo make modules_install && sudo make install
14) No problem, rebooted with my fingers crossed and everything
went just fine!
15) Started jack: error message a suitable kernel should print
... (no capabilities).
16) cd  to where I downloaded a the realtime patch
(realtime-lsm-0.1.0).
17) make KERNEL_DIR=/home/kernel/linux-2.6.6 (Fail!)
18) Just for curiosity sake went to the
http://jackit.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.php site to see if there
were any news. No, everything looked just the same, but I went
to: http://sourceforge.net/projects/realtime-lsm/ to see if
there was a new version, and yes there's
realtime-lsm-0.1.1.tar.gz.
19) Downloaded it and built with:
      make KERNEL_DIR=/home/kernel/linux-2.6.6 (Success!)
      sudo make KERNEL_DIR=/home/kernel/linux-2.6.6 install
(Success)
20) System map rebuilt
     sudo /sbin/depmod -ae -F
/home/kernel/linux-2.6.6/System.map  2.6.6-dtc_00
     sudo /sbin/modprobe realtime allcaps=1 (Success)
21) jackstart now printed no errors just the usage instructions.
so it seems to be working. Now try hydrogen, but first start
jack...
22) jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -n 3 -p -z &
      back from read, ret = 1 errno == Success
jackd 0.98.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

creating alsa driver ...
hw|hw|1024|3|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 3
periods
Couldn't open hw for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
Couldn't open hw for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead

23) hydrogen (had to reconfigure it to use the jack driver and
restarted)

24) Loads of joy and happiness when my funky-demo started up
sounding awesome!

I hope this helps! (just to prove that FC2 is not a total audio
failure)  :)

Daniel Tonda Castillo
15 Mbytes Free Web-based and  POP3
Sign up now: http://www.gawab.com