[PlanetCCRMA] ALSA: Cannot restart alsa - FC1 - ICE1712

Brian Arsenault barsenault@gto.net
Thu May 6 19:57:01 2004

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> Did you try to see if someone was using the audio devices? With "fuser
> /dev/snd/*" or "fuser /dev/dsp*"? Any sound servers running? Arts? Esd?

No files open in either location.  No esd.  No arts.  I was using gnome/gdm,
and what is ironic it seems to work fine now that I've tried it with kdm/kde.

Just to test, I started in runlevel 3 and tested it without X.  It was fine.
So I started kdm manually from there and everything seemed to be ok.  I've
just set up kdm and kde for runlevel 5 and everything works like a charm (I
think - no time to test thouroughly.)

I will eventually use blackbox anyway so this may not be an issue, but what in
gdm or gnome could cause this behaviour?

Regardless, if I figure it out, I'll post back to the list.  I suspect since
this was such a generic install - FC1 + CCRMA + icd1712 - chances are good
someone else will run in to this.

Thanks for you help.  This project truly rocks.