[PlanetCCRMA] Music Cataloging Software

Joe Hartley jh@brainiac.com
Fri May 7 03:54:01 2004

On Fri, 07 May 2004 00:01:29 +0000
"Steven Yi" <kunstmusik@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I hope this isn't too off topic, but I've been interested to catalog my cd's
> and md's lately and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.
> Preferably something which could go and grab information off a database
> online to automatically fill in information would be great.  If it could
> also work somehow with a web server so that the catalog would be online
> that'd be really great. =)

The CDDB sounds like what you want.  I used grip to rip my collection
of CDs to MP3, and almost all of the disks were automatically recognized,
named and filed.  I use Zina to provide a web interface to the MP3
collection (now over 19,000 tracks from over 1500 disks and NOTHING
from any downloads).

My only complaint?  The fact that the collection's alphabetized by
artist first name, not last, or band names filed under "The".  I can
live with that :)

Grip is part of the Planet, and zina is at
    http://http://www.pancake.org/zina.html