[PlanetCCRMA] changing stuff

Patrice.Tisserand@ircam.fr Patrice.Tisserand@ircam.fr
Fri Jun 25 07:18:01 2004

On 25/06/04  10:22, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings:
>
>  (Sorry for the repost if this message was delivered earlier. I'm not
> sure it was ever actually sent...)
>
>  I have two related questions:
>
>    1. My client wants to upgrade his KDE system in his current Planet C
> RH9. Can he do so safely (without harm to the Planet C system), and if
> so, what's the recommended way to upgrade ? He has a fast connection and
> can hypothetically do the upgrade over the wires.

Hi Dave,
on my personal computer (RedHat 9 + PlanetCCRMA), I have updated KDE to 3.2.2
using http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net
Doing this you will break a bit the PlanetCCRMA installation.
Specially for applications using qt (since kde-redhat using a different version of qt)
Hydrogen and Rosegarden are ok.
I can't remeber if I recompile qjackctl by hand, but I don't think so.
Qamix and qrecord are missing.
And due to dependencies problem with qarecord and qamix, you can't do anymore:
apt-get install planetccrma-audioapps.

I remember also having some problem with menu but quite easy to fix.

In conclusion upgrading KDE in RedHat 9 + PlanetCCRMA will make the system a
less user friendly to maintain.

>    2. I'd like to check out Werner Schweer's MusScore, his WYSIWYG
> notation editor, but alas, it requires QT 3.3. Similar to question #1,
> what's the best way to go about doing that ?
>
>  I recently added Python 2.3 to my /usr/local hierarchy, believing that
> it wouldn't cause problems, but for some reason now my system wants to
> recognize that installation as the bona fide (instead of the Planet's
> 2.2). Alas, it isn't configured for Tkinter (why oh why isn't that done
> as a matter of course?), and I'm loathe to add yet another non-Planet
> package to the /usr/local tree. Fie on all dependencies ! ;-) Any
> suggestions ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> dp

Bye,