[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Rehmudi kernel 2.4.26-1.ll

Tue Jun 22 12:48:01 2004

> >>Where is the kernel looking for insmod at that stage?  In the init ram disk?
> >>Shouldn't the file systems be compiled into the kernel?
> >>
> >>Sorry for bothering you with these problems, but that's where my diving limit
> >>into the kernel is reached.
> >
> > Can you boot into any other kernel? (other than 2.6.x, that is)
>
> yes, I have kernel 2.4.21-pre5-ac3-mhp3 specially patched for my Compaq
> Presario 915 laptop.
>
> > How did you install the new version of modutils? From source? Using
> > packages? (if packages, which ones and from where?).
>
> phew, that was a long time ago.  I think it was from
> module-init-tools-0.9.13.tar.bz2, and I remember I had to do all this
> backing-up old versions buisiness by hand.  I found this on my disk:
> modutils-2.4.21-21.src.rpm.  Would you suggest I reinstalled that package?

That would probably fix the 2.4.x boot problems but it would kill 2.6.x
(if you are using it). Or maybe reinstalling the original modutils from
8.0 (the binary, I mean). I don't know if that would play well with the
manually installed module-init-tools.

Another option that I have used in 9 a while ago to experiment briefly
with 2.6.x is to rebuild the .src.rpms for the critical packages that
2.6.x needs, like modutils (and one of them is, surprise, mkinitrd :-)

There are packages you could use here:
  http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.6/
You could try using the .src.rpm's that are there and rebuild them on
your machine. But maybe you will run into dependency problems, I don't
know and I don't have a 8.0 machine up and running now to even see what
versions were around...

-- Fernando