[PlanetCCRMA] Low Latency Patch

brad stafford brad@archone.tamu.edu
Tue Jun 8 18:14:01 2004

Time for a stupid user question....

I'm running RH9 from a pure install of the Planet CD's from April
something 2004. I have a slow modem connection to the internet. The
version I'm running, to be precise, is Redhat 9
2.4.20-31-1-CAPS.RH90.ccrma.

The question is do I need to manually install the low-latency patches?

When I get to the chapter in the instructions that talks about setting
low latency to 1 and I issue the command it says the patch isn't
installed. Here is the output from the cat command:

[root@mars]# cat /proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency
cat: /proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency: No such file or directory

I have a Delta 1010 connected to the system and when Jack and Ardour are
running I get the occasional xrun. I also use the KDE desktop.

This is how I'm starting Jack:

jackd -v -R -d alsa -d ice1712 -r 44100 -p 512 -H -z s &

After the Delta 1010 I bought a Behringer Eurorack 1204 FX Pro, three
ART (Applied Research and Technology) tube mic preamps, a pair of Event
TR5 studio monitors and enough cables to finance a small down payment on
a Lexus.

The CCRMA system with the above hardware does an incredible job of
recording multiple tracks. I get amazing clear, crisp sounds even using
old Shure SM57 mics. The only problem is the occasional dropout from an
xrun.

Thanks Fernando and all the others who have put the planet together.

Brad.