[PlanetCCRMA] Comparing proprietary and free software

David Fraser davidf@sjsoft.com
Fri Jul 16 01:29:01 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:

> David Fraser wrote:
>
>> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>>> ...sorry for wasting all this bandwidth. ;-) (Heck, it's free, right?!)
>>>
>> Not a waste of bandwidth, its really interesting!
>> What I would like to know is, is there a central site that compares
>> existing proprietary sound applications with their free software
>> alternatives?
>> A wiki-based site might be a good idea for this kind of thing...
>>
>> David
>
> Don't know really. For all things Linux and Sound I first go to Dave's
> site:
>
> http://linux-sound.org/
>
> I don't think that there's anything really specific there in terms of
> comparison between free and not free though.

I guess the AGNULA wiki might be a good place for this, but it seems
empty to me...
I just know that when talking to friends who are sound engineers, this
kind of feature comparison might be helpful in persuading them to
switch, and in knowing what programs they can use. Anyway
linux-sound.org is a good start

David